Saturday, August 16, 2008

What is "glazing?"

QUESTION:
Susie: As a beginner in watercoloring I am not familiar with glazing as referred to in the
Raindrops on Roses watercolor tip. Please let me know. Thanks so much for your info. L S

SUSIE'S REPLY:
Glazing
is layering thin washes of color with drying time between each layer to build up color.

In this case for the pink roses, it would be a thin or watered down puddle of pink paint.
You paint the darkest value near the center of the rose and blend off to a more diluted watered down value on the outer edge.
Blending off is moistening the area beside a stroke to soften the edge.

Look at my other rose demo for more details and info. Look at steps 4, 5 and 6.
http://www.susieshort.net/rose-demo.html

I hope that helps!

Susie

For a more detailed lesson on painting Raindrops on Roses look for my downloadable eLesson on my website. http://www.susieshort.net/e-lessons.html
You will need the Adobe PDF reader to open the file. To get it free click here.

No comments: